Part 2: Planning & Preparation
I’ve heard every limiting belief in the book when I talk with agents who have unsuccessful open houses but the one common denominator is a failure to execute a plan. That and they don’t even have a plan or their plan consists of posting the open house on the MLS the day before and putting out a couple signs around the corner from the house.
Ideally if you’re planning for a Saturday open house, then your planning should begin the Monday before. So almost a full week.
Open House Countdown Checklist
3 Days Before:
- Confirm date and time with seller/listing agent!
- Set open house in HAR
- Print a map of the neighborhood surrounding the property (3 mi radius)
- Mark on map where you will place signs.
- Secure 10 directional signs
- Print 50 Open House flyers
- Print 50 property info flyers
2 Days Before:
- Knock on 50 doors around property to invite neighbors to “Special Neighbor Preview” 30 minutes before open house start time. (Leave a flyer)
- Advertise the open house on Craigslist
- Compile info on alternative relevant properties. Print 5 copies of each
- Print 2 blank contracts (just in case for a motivated buyer)
- Print 50 guest sign in sheets
- Put together “Home Info Booklet” to display, including:
- Property photo cover page
- Details of property
- Utilities & upgrades info page
- Tax information
- Survey of lot (if you have it)
- Floor plans (if you have it)
- School Information
- Community Information
Pro-Tip: For your Home Info Booklet use ListReports to print out beautiful informative pre-designed open house reports on good paper.
1 Day Before:
Pick up 10 balloons (red, white and blue)
Pick up 2 bottles of champagne and orange juice
Pick up water bottles
Day of Open House:
Place directional signs where decided on map
Secure balloons to yard sign
Setup guest sign in sheet
Setup mimosas and/or snacks on kitchen counter